Common mistakes with facial and body expressions. Your Verb Has Already Done the Job!











Have you ever said something in English that sounds perfectly normal until you stop and think about it?

Let’s talk about expressions involving facial and body movements.

Here’s a common one:

❌ I nodded my head when she asked me. Sounds familiar, right? 

But the verb “nod” already means to move your head up and down, usually to show agreement, understanding, or acknowledgement.

So, in many situations, you can simply say:

✅ I nodded when she asked me.


📌 WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN? This is an example of TAUTOLOGY.

Tautology is the unnecessary repetition of an idea because the meaning is already contained in the word or expression you have used.

In simple terms:  If the verb has already done the job, let it do the job!

For example:

❌ I shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

✅ I shrugged and walked away.

❌ The baby blinked his eyes at the bright light.

✅ The baby blinked at the bright light.

❌ She winked her eye at her friend.

✅ She winked at her friend.

❌ The little boy smiled his face when he saw the cake.

✅ The little boy smiled when he saw the cake.

❌ I frowned my face when I saw the bill.

✅ I frowned when I saw the bill.

Notice what happened?

The unnecessary body parts disappeared, but the meaning stayed.

That’s the point.

🧠 HERE’S THE TRICK:

Before adding words such as head, eyes, face, shoulders. 

Ask yourself: Does the verb already tell me what body movement is happening?

If yes, you probably don't need to add the body part.

⚠️ BUT CONTEXT MATTERS!

This doesn't mean that mentioning a body part is always wrong.

For example: ✅ He nodded his head towards the empty chair.

Here, “his head” can be useful because it draws attention to the direction of the movement.

So don't turn this into another English rule you apply blindly. 

The real lesson is:📌 DON'T REPEAT INFORMATION UNNECESSARILY.

If the verb already communicates the action clearly, you can usually leave the extra body-part word out.


🎯 QUICK TEST.

Which sounds more natural?

A. I shrugged my shoulders when I heard the price.

B. I shrugged when I heard the price.

What’s your answer? Drop A or B in the comments. 👇🏽

And don't just read and scroll.

Try creating your own sentence using one of these verbs: nod, shrug, blink, wink, frown.

If you want to speak and write English that is not just correct, but also clear, natural and confident, that's exactly what I help learners and professionals develop.

📩 Send me a DM to enquire about Diction, Pronunciation, Spoken English, Public Speaking and Professional Communication coaching.


COACH TEE🌟
Your Everyday English Buddy @ Speech Haven Diction & Poise Academy

(Helping you speak smarter, one word at a time.)

Your voice deserves to be heard.

#SayItRight #EnglishTips #SpokenEnglish #EnglishGrammar #LearnEnglish #EnglishCoach #DictionCoach #PronunciationCoach #PublicSpeaking #CommunicationSkills #ProfessionalEnglish #BusinessEnglish #SpeakEnglishConfidently #ImproveYourEnglish #EnglishForProfessionals #SpeechHavenAndPoiseAcademy #ClearCommunication #SpeakWithConfidence





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiancé or Fiancée? Councillor or Counsellor? Don’t Get It Twisted!

Junction or Juncture? Don’t Get Caught at the Wrong Stop.

Empowering Voices: Communication with Confidence!